Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Cofrentes< Ermita de la Virgen de la Soledad

Ermita de la Virgen de la Soledad(Cofrentes)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


The Ermita de la Virgen de la Soledad is located at the top of the Cerro de la Dehesilla, a hill to the southeast of the village. It was inaugurated on 3 May 1878 on the initiative of Vicente Pablo Correcher, and the annexed house for the hermit was erected from 1940 onwards. On the façade there is a tombstone indicating the date of its construction, and that of 1942, when it was extensively restored.
The chapel is a very small square building, built in masonry, covered by a rustic semi-spherical tiled dome topped by a cross. The entire chapel is decorated with drawings and borders made of pebbles framing pious thoughts.
The entrance door is located under a semicircular arch made of bricks. A belfry with its bell stands next to the right eaves, where it joins the hermit's dwelling.
The interior is very small, only about 6 m2 covered by a blind dome. Abundant votive offerings hang on the walls, as well as oil paintings framed in esparto grass. The altar occupies the entire front wall, in which there is a niche for the image of the Virgen de la Soledad, the work of the Valencian artist Enrique Galarza, made in 1943.

Image of Ermita de la Virgen de la Soledad