Countries<Spain<Comunidad Valenciana<Masalavés< Portal o Torre de los Milá

Portal o Torre de los Milá(Masalavés)

View on Ocity Platform

logoTwitter logoFacebook


It was originally a farmhouse tower, and after the reconquest its structures were adapted to build a fortified enclosure, of which the gateway formed part. It later served as the palace of the Barony of the Milá lineage, which achieved a certain social relevance due to its contributions to the crown and its appearances with the Holy See (Llorens 1976, 86).

Having acquired the title of Villa by royal privilege in the 16th century and after the town charter in the 17th century, there are several references to the use of the castle as a meeting place for the general council of the Vila (Madoz 1987, Vol II, 21; Llorens 1976, 133), a prelude to its later transformation as Casa de la Vila, in 1889, when the Barony of Massalavés was extinguished with the suppression of feudal lordships in Spain in 1838.

The tower has two floors. The entrance is built in a slightly pointed ashlar arch, blinded for the insertion of a lintelled recess and a rake. The lower part is of ashlar masonry and is covered by a pointed barrel vault. The upper part is made of rammed earth with loopholes in the form of a flamboyant arch on each side of the walls.

From the 18th century, once it had lost its defensive character, the first floor of the tower began to be used as a town hall and archive, while the ground floor continued to be used as a prison. In 1889, the building underwent a major refurbishment in order to adapt it definitively to its function as a town hall.

Image of Portal o Torre de los Milá